Saturday, January 10, 2015

Almost that time!

I'm rapidly coming up on the time that I'll be going full time, in other words coming out at work. I have two words for that: I'm SCARED! My employer has regularly scheduled shift bids where everyone has to bid for a new shift. I figured this was the best time for me to start going to work as Vicki. I have a whole plan around it, I'm going to get my hair done, change the color and a bit of styling. Not anything to drastic, mind you, the color will be red, as for the style, it has to be something easy to maintain. We'll see how that turns out. 

The thing is, now that I've made the decision to come out at work and given it a time frame, I'm getting anxious, impatient even. I'm ready now. I just really don't know what to expect, what will the reactions of my co-workers be? Or for that matter my bosses? The company I work for is noted for being open and accepting, in fact they score 100 on the HRC ( http://www.hrc.org/ ) Corporate Equality Index ( http://www.hrc.org/campaigns/corporate-equality-index ) and have scored well for a number of years. The problem is that on a day to day basis I deal with individuals not corporations and it's that interaction with individuals that I am concerned about. 

In a lot of ways the attitude and corporate mindset influences how the employees behave and interact, all I can do is hope that the atmosphere of openness and culture of inclusion are enough...

Hugs...

Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment