Saturday, October 12, 2013

A week with Vicki.... The Conclusion

That's right folks, my week (Actually nine days) is over, but it's not. It was an interesting time, I learned a lot. I also found out how little I knew (profound, right). The one thing that really stood out for me was how easily I walked out the door and how easily I took insult. Whenever someone in my immediate vicinity giggled, I knew it was about me, I knew they were laughing at me. Except, of course I didn't. I could make an assumption, but that was all. I had no way of knowing what was said or at whom it was directed. I had to come to grips with the fact that I stand out, that I will attract attention (I'm 5' 10", really tall in heels). I was also struck by the number of people that didn't seem to care one way or the other and the number that were gracious and kind.

Now that the experiment is over, are my days dressing over? No, not at all. This has helped me build confidence. I can go anywhere (within reason) and interact with people. Most people are so wrapped up in their day to day lives that they take no notice of the world and people around them, something I was also guilty of, I have started being much more aware of my surroundings and the people that inhabit them. I know that regardless of how my life will unfold, I can be me.

This has been and will continue to be an interesting and eye opening experience, bittersweet and exciting. I did not choose this, all I can do is make the best of it... In the immortal words of Donna Summer, "I will survive". Thanks to the love of my wife, I will thrive, we will thrive...

Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment