Sunday, October 6, 2013

Time for an aside...

If you've been following this blog you know that I've been going full time since last Saturday. One incident stands out for me, not because of how it affected me but rather how I interpreted it. I had a lunch date with a good friend of mine, I had arrived somewhat early (I'm German, it's in my nature) and decided to go and get us a table, it was close to lunch time and didn't want to have to wait to be seated. The hostess was very pleasant and gracious. The waitress, after an over-emphasized initial "ma'am" was pleasant and efficient. Everything one would expect from a well-run restaurant.

My friend was delayed in getting to the restaurant and while I was waiting a woman was seated in the booth across from me, she was also waiting for someone. After five or so minutes her party arrived and they proceeded to move to another table. Now my first thought was that she was moving because I was there, dressed... I've had time to rethink that... how could I possibly know why they moved, maybe they didn't like sitting close to the window, maybe they wanted to be closer to the kitchen... who knows. What I do know is that I cannot assume that my being TG is the reason they moved. Guess what, it's not all about me... It's not all about us... and taking offense for something that we cannot be certain of is the height of conceit. This is a mistake that I will not make again (I hope)...

No comments:

Post a Comment