Wednesday, December 3, 2014

I took another step down my path. On Tuesday I went to human resources and told them that I was transgender and that I was going to go full time when we have our next shift change. So in about 4 months I'll be out at work. I was scared to death, shaking even, as I walked to the HR office. I ask to speak with someone privately, and when we got to the room I jumped right in, saying that I was Transgender. The reaction I got was great and reassuring, it was an offer to help. I left HR feeling euphoric. Now don't misunderstand, I still have to work myself up to going to work as Vicki. I know that I have been going out in public for some time now, but this is different, out in the world at large I am interacting with strangers, at work I am interacting with people I know; people that have know me as male for the last year. I expect that there will be some people freaked out by my change, and there will be others that are supportive.

To those that find it difficult to accept that I have to pursue this path and begin avoiding me, I say, I understand. I know that changes like these in people we feel we know cause us to question ourselves and out perceptions. I will be sad to see you go, but I want to thank you for your friendship to this point.

To those that feel the need to ridicule and belittle me, I know those feelings as well, all that I ask is that you show me the same respect that I show you. You don't have to like me, or associate with me, that's fine. What I will not stand for and will fight against to the end is deliberate cruelty.

To those that accept my change and want to continue to be my friends, all I can say is Thank You!!

Now I know that this is still a ways away, and I'm sure that I will revisit and refine these thoughts between now and then, I know that fundamentally they will not change.

Hugs...

Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment