Sunday, November 30, 2014

Tears

Little boys are taught that tears are wrong, that only girls cry. In men, tears are considered a sign of weakness (there are exceptions, but only a few). I was thinking about tears this morning watching "Sunday Morning", there was a story on about the Make a Wish foundation and it brought me to tears. I'm sure that a lot of you may dismiss this a a small thing or just a side effect of taking hormones, in a way you are correct, I'm certain that the hormones are at least partially responsible. This is a good thing! I relish being able to cry, it sounds silly, I know, but for as long as I can remember I was unable to cry, regardless of the circumstance. Cutting onions aside, tears did not come to my eyes and I was poorer for it.

Over the years I remember instances where I desperately wanted to cry and couldn't. I remember the feeling of extreme restraint and control. I don't have  the words to explain how difficult it was, I had no way to expel or release the emotions churning and roiling beneath the surface, so they sat there and poisoned my emotional well being. this affected every part of my life and my relationships.

I can cry again, from happiness, or sadness, from frustration or relief. I am happy to cry....

Hugs...

Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment